- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed vegetable or canola oil for frying
- 1 cup fresh raspberries (can substitute blueberries or blackberries)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or half a vanilla bean, scraped)
FOR THE DONUTS
- Roll the puff pastry on a lightly floured countertop.
- Using cookie cutters, cut a large circle for the outside of the donut, followed by a smaller circle in the center of each donut. (Don’t discard the centers! They can be fried for delightful donut holes!)
- Fill a large pot with about 1 inch of oil and warm over medium-high heat. (If you have a thermometer, you want your oil to reach approximately 360 degrees.)
- Carefully place the puff pastry rounds into the oil and fry for approximately 1 minute per side, until golden brown. Remove from the oil (a slotted spoon works best) and place on a paper towel.
FOR THE GLAZE
- Place the raspberries in a fine-mesh strainer. Using a spoon or spatula, press the raspberries through the strainer, collecting the juices in a bowl underneath. Discard the seeds.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract to the raspberry juice and whisk until combined. Microwave for approximately 30 seconds.
- When the donuts are mostly cool, dip the tops in the raspberry glaze and set aside for 10 to 15 minutes to allow glaze to set.
Donuts are best when eaten immediately. These are best when shared with friends and loved ones.