- 3 tbsp housemade butterscotch, divided
- 1 1/4 cups Pied Piper Creamery Sweet Cream Ice Cream
- 2 tbsp brown butter caramelized bananas
- 1/2 fresh banana
- 1/3 cup half & half (we use TN Real Milk)
- dollop of whipped cream*
FOR THE BUTTERSCOTCH:
yield: 1 cup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp bourbon (we use Belle Meade) 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tbsp cold butter, cubed
FOR THE BROWN BUTTER CARAMELIZED BANANAS:
yield: about 2 cups (8–10 milkshakes)
- 1/2 cup room temperature butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 4–5 ripe bananas, sliced
FOR THE MILKSHAKE BAR WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar (We make this by taking vanilla bean pods, tossing them in sugar, and letting them sit in there for at least 2 days. Alternatively, you could add 1 tsp vanilla bean paste to the cream.)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
METHOD FOR THE BUTTERSCOTCH:
In a heavy bottom sauce pot combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, and water over medium heat. Swirl the pot, but don’t stir the mixture, until the sugar is dissolved and toasted. Remove from heat. In a separate pot, heat the bourbon, vanilla bean, cream, and salt over low heat until heated through. Remove from heat and slowly whisk the heated cream mixture into the sugar mixture. Whisk in the cubed butter in increments until all is incorporated. Let cool.
METHOD FOR THE BROWN BUTTER CARAMELIZED BANANAS:
Add the butter to a cast iron skillet over medium heat and cook until it just starts to brown, stirring constantly. Add the brown sugar, vanilla, salt, and bananas. Stir well and increase to medium-high heat. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the bananas are cooked through and the brown sugar is completely dissolved. The bananas should be the consistency of a pecan pie filling. Cool well before using.
METHOD FOR MILKSHAKE BAR WHIPPED CREAM:
Pulse the vanilla sugar and salt in a spice grinder until they reach a powdered sugar consistency. In a chilled bowl, whip the sugar/salt mix and the heavy cream until medium peaks form.
Garnish the milkshake glass with 1 tbsp butterscotch. In a blender combine 2 tbsp butterscotch and the ice cream, caramelized bananas, fresh banana, and half & half and blend until smooth (while still maintaining a thick consistency). Pour into the garnished glass and top with a dollop of whipped cream.