For the Scones:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus some for dusting
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate powder
- dash of salt
- 1/4 cup unbleached cane sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- dash of cayenne
- dash of cinnamon
- 8 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil, at
- 3/4 cup almond milk, plus some for brushing
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
For the Glaze:
- 1/4–1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp dark chocolate powder
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- handful of vegan mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper and sprinkle with cane sugar. Set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. Using your hands or a fork, cut in the vegan butter. Once combined and crumbly, make a well and pour in the almond milk and vanilla. Stir until a dough forms. Flip the dough onto a floured surface. Fold the dough by hand until combined and form a disk about 1 1/2 inches thick and 8 to 10 inches around. Cut the disk like you would a pizza: horizontal, vertical, then diagonal twice to create 8 equal pieces.
- Place the scones on the baking sheet, not touching. Brush the dough with almond milk and sprinkle generously with sugar. Bake for 18 to 23 minutes, until risen and baked through. Poke with a knife to check doneness.
- Transfer the scones to a rack and allow them to cool while you make the glaze. Combine the almond milk, chocolate powder, and confectioners sugar and whisk until smooth, adding milk as needed for the right consistency. Top the cooled scones with the glaze and sprinkle with mini marshmallows.